« Senate OKs bill to end minimum jail time in drug cases |
| Today's front page »
April 30, 2008
Suspect in Central Falls shooting taken to hospital
Anthony Strobert, the 19-year-old Central Falls man charged with Saturday's shooting death of Helder Tomar, was transported from the Adult Correctional Institutions in Cranston to the hospital today for treatment of a medical condition, a state corrections spokeswoman said.
Strobert was taken from the ACI intake to the hospital at 1 p.m. today, according to Tracy Z. Poole, spokeswoman for the state Department of Corrections. He was accompanied by two correctional officers. He was not expected to be released tonight, she said.
Although officials would not release the name of the hospital, an ACI van was parked in front of Rhode Island Hospital's emergency entrance earlier this afternoon.
Rhode Island Hospital spokeswoman Gail Carvelli would say only that there was heightened security at the hospital today, but said she could not elaborate.
The police said witnesses told them that Strobert and Tomar got into a fight Saturday in Jenks Park, Central Falls. After Tomar shot Strobert, Strobert took the gun from Tomar and shot and killed him, according to the police.
The shooting of Tomar was one of two separate shootings in Central Falls over the weekend that prompted a 9 p.m. to 5.a.m curfew in the city for all people under age 18 unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.
-- projo.com staff writer Michael P. McKinney with reports from Jennifer D. Jordan
Posted by Mike McKinney at 7:15 PM | Permalink
Paul Rivers | April 30, 2008 9:53 PM link
19 years old is no boy | May 1, 2008 2:04 PM link
Post a comment
Please be civil. Vicious comments, personal attacks and profanity won't be published. Name and email are required; email address will not publish.