« Hearing postponed in foster care lawsuit |
| Cape jurors questioned about bias in deliberations »
January 10, 2008
Faulty ventilation cited in carbon monoxide deaths
For the first time since the investigation began into the carbon monoxide deaths of three people in a Providence house, authorities have specified what was wrong with the heating system that led the family to be exposed to the deadly gas.
At a news conference today, where a carbon monoxide awareness campaign was announced, Maj. Stephen Campbell said the boiler system at 345 Blackstone St. was improperly vented; previous accounts only said the boiler was improperly installed.
And the three victims have been positively identified by the office of the State Medical Examiners today. Their bodies were discovered Monday at 345 Blackstone St.
Sonia Flores, 46, Ryan Aleman, 14, and Marco Herrera, 52, all from Providence, were poisoned by the gas; they were identified using dental records and fingerprints.
Neighbors have said that Flores lived in the house with her son Ryan, a ninth grader at the Met School, and her boyfriend.
Police initially treated the deaths as homicides, but an autopsy revealed no signs of trauma and the Medical Examiners concluded that carbon monoxide was the cause.
Read today's story on the investigation.
Journal photo / Andrew Dickerman
With Fire Chief George Farrell at left, Mayor David N. Cicilline urges residents to install carbon monoxide detectors in their homes. Met School ninth-grade classmates of Ryan Aleman, 14, look on.
At the conference, Mayor David N. Cicilline joined representatives from the police and fire departments to announce a public awareness campaign about the dangers of carbon monoxide and ways to prevent poisoning.
The fire department will be installing carbon monoxide detectors for free to low-income and elderly residents thanks to a donation from Benny's, First Alert and Ocean State Job Lot.
Click below to read more about ways to protect your home from the hazardous gas, or call the Fire Prevention Hotline at 401-243-6034.
-- with reports from Journal staff writer Gregory Smith
- Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home outside of sleeping areas
- Make sure that heating systems are installed by licensed professionals with the proper permits from the City’s Department of Inspection and Standards
- Never use an oven or grill to heat your home
- During and after snowstorms, make sure vents for dryers, furnaces, stoves and fireplaces are clear of snow build-up
- Know the difference between the sound of a smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm and remember that a smoke detector is not a substitute for a carbon monoxide device
- Call the Fire Prevention Hotline number at 243-6034 if you have any questions about carbon monoxide
Posted by Brandie Jefferson at 12:07 PM | Permalink
Clint Shurtleff | January 10, 2008 1:09 PM link
RJ Teixeira | January 10, 2008 2:04 PM link
Betsy | January 10, 2008 2:41 PM link
T. Chace | January 10, 2008 3:31 PM link
anonymous | January 10, 2008 7:07 PM link
herman | January 11, 2008 12:11 AM link
Post a comment
Please be civil. Vicious comments, personal attacks and profanity won't be published. Name and email are required; email address will not publish.